Crochet Sweater 6-Week Class
Crochet Sweater 6-Week Class
This class is for advanced beginner and intermediate crocheters. Participants should be confident with basic crochet skills such as chaining, slip stitch, single crochet, single crochet back loop only, increases and decreases. Pattern reading is highly recommended, but not required.
In this 6-week sessional class, Wavelengths founder Emilie Young will teach you how to crochet her signature Fisken Sweater! Over the course, you will learn:
Class 1: Lower body portion – single crochets + back loop only for the bottom ribbing, row of single crochet above the ribbing with increases, start of the mesh stitch
Class 2 + 3: Body panel split – mesh stitch and working short rows
Class 4: Edge ribbing + collar – single crochet back loop only, with slip stitches and creating buttonholes.
Class 5: Sleeves + cuffs – mesh stitch in the round, using slip stitches for sleeves. Single crochet back loop only for cuff.
Class 6: Pockets
Materials you will need:
*Psst....purchase this class and we'll send you a 30% discount code to buy your supplies from Good Grief Yarn & Provisions!
Crochet Hooks: You will need a gauge of 8 mesh stitch x 16 rows using size 5/Chunky yarn. Try first with a 5.5mm hook:
- Chain 16, turn
- Single crochet in the second chain from the hook, chain 1, skip 1 chain, single crochet
- Continue the sequence of sc + ch until the end of the foundation chain. You'll have 8 sc + 8 ch. Turn
- Work a single crochet in the last single crochet you did in the previous row, ch 1. Work a sc in the next sc from the previous row.
- Work back and forth until you have 16 rows.
- NOTE - if your square turns out to be bigger than 4"x4" (10cmx10xm), please consider sizing your hook down. If your square turns out to be smaller than 4"x4" (10cmx10xm), please consider sizing your hook up.
- Once you've determined the hook size you need to meet gauge, you'll also need a hook that's 1.5mm smaller than your main hook (for the sc row above the ribbing + coat opening ribbing and collar) + one that's 2.5mm smaller than your main hook (for the bottom and cuff ribbing).
Yarn: Chunky/Bulky/Size 5
Please note: This is a unisex pattern written with 8 sizes (XXS to 3XL) in mind. There are also 3 length options available (short, mid, long). The pattern is quite oversized, so for something more form fitting, consider sizing down (see bust/chest measurements below)
Yardage for the mid length option:
- XX-Small and X-Small (1,490 yards/1,360 metres)
- Small and Medium (1,639 yards/1,496 metres)
- Large and X-Large (1,788 yards / 1,632 metres)
- 2X-Large and 3X-Large (1,937 yards/ 1,768 metres)
- For the short or long options, consider subtracting or adding 1 (for the size on the left) or 2 (for the size on the right) skeins/balls of yarn.
- XX-Small – 38 1/2 in / 98 cm
- X-Small – 44 in / 112 cm
- Small – 46 in / 117 cm
- Medium – 53 1/2 in / 123 cm
- Large – 55 in / 139 cm
- X-Large – 57 in / 145 cm
- 2X-Large – 61 in / 155 cm
- 3X-Large – 65 in / 165 cm